Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      shall5867
      Participant

I have done a lot of painting over the years, but never had this problem. I am using a latex satin paint (Lowes Olympic)and I am noticing dull spots in a few places where I painted my bathroom walls and ceiling. Re-touching those areas with a second coat helps, but does not eliminate the problem.

My house is only 1-1/2 years old. The builder was to apply only flat latex primer to the walls. I believe what may be occuring is that I am running into spots where the drywaller touched up cracks, etc. with drywall patch and did not re-prime with flat paint. It is almost impossible to see those area as the primer paint and the drywall patch are the exact same color.

If this is what is happening, would the satin paint always leave a dull spot over these areas? And what can I do now?

doug seibert
      Participant

whatever the cause for the fault…..just spot prime the area(s) with spray can of Kilz Original….

It dries in a few minutes and seals in WHATEVER was the cause of the sheen difference…..

Use PLENTY of ventilation ’cause it contains Acetone !

Use enough spray to cover the defect BUT don’t soak the area to where you change the surface texture or cause drips/runs….

Recoat with two coats of your latex finish

“…measure once…..cut twice….throw that one away and cut a new one….”

Faron79
      Participant

This is such a classic problem with some builders/painters!!!
      Typically, some builders and/or painters think using a cheap flat paint is good enough to consider a wall “primed”.
      >>> Paint and Primer are 2 DIFFERENT THINGS, and will affect subsequent coats of paint differently. It kind of concerns me when you say “they didn’t re-prime with flat paint”. Cheap flat “builders paints” and primers do look similiar on the wall, but there’s one BIG difference…”builders’ flat” wall paints are fairly porous, whereas primers ELIMINATE any porosity!!
      >>> This uneven porosity is what’s dulling the SHEEN of your Satin paint. The sheen will appear duller where there’s no primer, and glossier where there’s ACTUAL PRIMER UNDERNEATH. Satins and Semi-glosses are very sensitive to having a good quality primer underneath. This lets the sheen develope in the actual paint layer, as opposed to being absorbed into the cheap flat paint.
      >>> SOLUTION: Prime everything you plan to paint for the most even appearance of your chosen sheen. Use 2 coats of actual paint too!
      Thanks!
      Faron

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.