Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-CJF

I have a ceiling made out of 4X8 sheets of Georgia Pacific bead board. I put 2 coats of Minwax Polyshade and 2 coats of Minwax Polyurathane on the ceiling. Now that its up I dont like the look and I need to paint over it. The finish on the ceiling is about 8 mounths old. If I have to scuff the surface with something what should I use? and what about getting down into the bead?. My ceiling measures 20 X 20 Thanx For the help CJF

Woodflooristcom
      Participant

Your question is interesting since you should have scuffed between the coats of polyshade and the coats of poly.

The fact that you are asking this question leads me to believe you didn’t scuff between coats.

What that means is that there is only a chemical bond between the coats. Scuffing between coats gives micro scratches for a physical bond as well as a chemical bond between coats. Not scuffing is kinda like painting on glass. Sooner or later it will peel.

If you want to go ahead anyway I would use a palm sander with a 150 grit sandpaper. Don’t try to do it all at once or your arms will fall off. Do a section, take a break, do another section, take a break.

As for getting in the beads you can use the used paper and fold it over a piece of base shoe or a short plastic ruler and use it as a sanding block.

Franklyn

<A HREF="I” target=”blank”>http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?FORM=SMCRT&q=How%20do%20I%20sand%20wood%20floors%20WA”>I Teach Wood Floors

thiggy
      Participant

You might take a look at “Liquid Sandpaper” or some similar paint prep product. See if they are suitable for use with polyurethane. If so, it’ll sure beat all that sanding. By the way, if you do have to sand, I would recommend a drywall pole sander rather than trying to use a power sander overhead.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.