• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      stacy

what kind of paint should i use to paint the metal siding of our 1980 mobile home?

thanks
      stacy massey

Steve:

has a good metal paint called Iron Clad. Its actually industrial quality, and does a good job and will last, its also self priming.

Michael Shnapek

I am interested in painting of a mobile home (interier, exteriaer)

Thank you.

Michael

Michael

I am interested in painting of a mobile home (interier, exteriaer)

Thank you.

Michael

Mary

I would like to find out if any additional prep is necessary other than pressure washing and what kind of paint must we use?

cindy

my mobile home is 14×70 and 11 feet from groung to top how many sqaure feet is that so I know how much paint to buy?

Mark Ward

Outstanding paint is available but it is expensive. It is Sherwin Williams DTM (direct to metal) paint. Your Sherwin Williams/ Brod Dugan store will have it. Paint comes in white gloss or semi-gloss and coats nicely. If you can talk the store into a contractor discount it is around $27 per gallon, but well worth the cost. Also don’t waste your paint on an old house with rusted screw heads. Go to your mobile home supply and get about 2000 1 1/4″ hex head screws and totally rescrew your house with a screw gun. Otherwise in a few months the screw heads will bleed through and ruin your new paint job. The paint will seal the heads of the new screws, so take the time and do it right.

Power wash the house and remove any dirt or mildew. I used some 50/50 bleach water with my power washer and followed up with some gunk buster (a power washer solution). Use only latex based caulks or sealers, since DTM paint doesn’t stick to silicon. It is best to caulk the windows or doors before you do any kind of paint work.

On our 14×70 it required 5 gallons and a gallon of brown for the trim. Be prepared to go over areas a couple of times, especially if you are changing colors.

We are extremely pleased with the results and have been asked by a few people in the court if we moved in a different trailer! After new paint and skirting she is now a real beauty.

Dan Weber

White chalkiness on aliminum panels must be removed prior to painting. What will take the chalkiness off? We have tried a pressure washer.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.