Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Unregistered-dpburns32

I’m planning on painting some kitchen cabinets that were stained and given a coat of poly urethane. The cabinets were done probably 30 years ago. In some spots the poly urethane has worn off.

What I want to do is go from a darker stain (oil base) that is on there, to a lighter stain (oil base) and I’m not sure if I need to sand the cabinet doors and frame to the bare wood. Also I’ve never painted the inside of the cabinets before, so I’m trying to decide whether to spray it all or do some brush and spray.

My biggest anxiety about this project is that the new color won’t show up correctly, any help would be appreciated thanks!

Daniel

bobsbuddy
      Participant

Stain or paint???

If you are going with a staining, you will need to strip off the old finish. Using a chemical stripper is the best way to go. Problem with sanding, besides being labor & material intensive, the sander does not know where to stop; the stripper does. Yes, stripping is a mess, but it’s soon over and does a better job of getting out the old stuff.

The best way to determine how the color is going to come out is to run a test panel, using your entire finishing process. Getting half-way into the project and realizing the color is not where you want to be is too late.

Lastly, are you positive that the finish is polyurethane? This is very rarely used by factory or custom built cabinet shops.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.