Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum Paint over water stains in oak floor, then polyurathane it

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      pstew96
      Participant

I have numerous water stains that will not come out despite bleaching and sanding, I am contemplating on using paint that I have left from painting the exterior cedar. I think I can artistically blend it with the floor, its latex and each instance would not be a large area then I expect to oil based poly over it. My only alternative would be to replace half the flooring in this large room. Paint over poly ok?

Bruno1949
      Participant

I’ve never heard of trying that. Yes, it could work. Maybe. Is there some hidden area you could try the technique on first? Some place that will be hidden by a chair or cabinet or rug if it doesn’t work?

I’ve used stain to make grain over a patch, and it worked well, but never over a water stain. Blending the patch into the original floor is a challenge, that’s for sure. The poly might dissolve the latex paint but as long as the paint is totally dry and the poly is put down carefully it should work. SHOULD. Doesn’t mean it will.

Try the combination on a piece of Oak and see what happens. That’s the best I can offer.

bobsbuddy
      Participant

You can use this to remove black “water marks” from oak.

http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/woodbleach.shtml

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.