Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Unregistered-vanman74

A close friend of mine(single mother of 2) had a Gen. Contractor bid on removing remaining wallpaper of 1 bathroom then prep texture and paint both
      bathrooms.(total of 2 bathrooms).Contractor said he could have it done in one day for $900 dollars. She said to him that she didn’t think that was possible.(knowing what a pain in the ass stripping the paper was)He insisted that it would be no problem.Four days later one of the contractors employees was finally finishing up at 6:30 Friday evening.

My question is, is it common practice to nearly double a given bid because, “you didn’t realize how hard it was gonna be to remove the wallpaper and didn’t like the way the walls were cut in so you recomonded painting the ceilings also.”(oh yeah, she had already purchased the paint).

The other question is,on her itemized bill,the contractor listed the 12 cans of texture it took to texture the two bathrooms(no receipt of purchase for the spray). Is it common practice to use cans of orange peel spray to texture to bathrooms?

Faron79
      Participant

WOW!! I wish you guys would’ve come to our store! (East-central ND)
      That “contactor” doesn’t know SQUAT about wallpaper projects!!
      ** Just the stripping alone can take a day…especially if no sizing was used under the paper. If the paper is a decade or more old…have the Aleve handy!
      ** After the paper is off, the walls have to be rinsed to make sure all glue bits are off.
      ** The next day, when the walls are DRY, a stain-blocking primer MUST be used to prevent any bleed-through of unseen glue remnants. Preferably, the Shellac-based primer from Zinsser.
      ** NOW the walls can be spatter-textured. If using the spray-cans, it could take a dozen cans…they don’t go very far! >> I would’ve hired a traditional texture-sprayer.
      Lots of taping off areas with plastic, but there’s no neat solution when re-texturing.
      ** This texture needs to dry for a DAY…then prime AGAIN with any latex primer, and do 2 coats of paint. Preferably Semi-gloss in a bathroom! If using a deep Red or Wine color, a grey primer must be used, plus 3 coats of the color.
      ** Also, use TOP-QUALITY rollers/brushes. DO NOT skimp with your painting tools.
      I hope this info. helps with any future projects!
      Faron

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.