Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      jim

My wife and I have found a great house that we would like to purchase; however, the basement has a stong oil oder from the oil tank/furnace. How would I remedy the situation to eliminate the oder. The furnace is 8 years old.

Tony

Jim the odor, is obviously from the oil, a spill, leaky fuel line, or a downdraft in the furnace flue/vent are all possibilities, if the combustion is not venting fully, you are also in danger of carbon monoxide poison. A professional furnace repair person can identify the problem, and prevent further leaks. Cleaning up any oil already spilled is very difficult and time consuming especially if the floor is porous. Factor the cost of all these remedies, and perhaps moving the vented oil tank outside, you will have your question answered.

Be

Need new oil furnace..what should I look for
      in a furnace what about a particular brand?

Hank Behrmann

No oil to pump. Turned off shutoff valve and replaced Filter Cartridge. Started Moter and proceded to bleed pump. NO oil! Opened Filter and no oil. Removed in line shutoff valve and no oil.Have a 500 gal. tank and 135 gal of oil.Also my system is a two stage pump equiped with two lines between pump and tank, one in and one return for excess pressure. How do I get oil to the pump/burner moter.

XAVIER HERNANDEZ

YES I HAVE WHAT LOOKS LIKE A TIME PORTAL/OCTOPUS OIL FURNACE THAT WHEN IT KICKS IN OR STARTS UP SMOKE COMES OUT AND FILLS UP THE BASEMENT. IS THIS A CHIMNEY PROBLEM? PLEASE I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY RESPONSE AT ALL . THANK YOU

John Martin

I was told that the furnace we have has a possible hair line crack starting and should be replaced soon. So i have no idea how except for some gadget that determined this. I thought it might be wise to find out what kind of new oil furnaces are out there on the market and how much of course . I addeded on the house and now have close to 3000 square feet. the furnace i have now is older and was in this house when we bought it some 12 years ago. (its a Rheem model.John

Earl Barfoot

I have a forced air oil furnace, it’s aprox: 5 years old I also have a oil fired water heater.

My thermostat will call for heat but the furnace won’t come on unless I push the reset button, I thought it was water in my oil but my water heater works fine and the oil line for the water heater runs out of the furnace.

What could the problem be of my furnace, and what can I do to fix it.

Thank You;

Earl Barfoot

Bernadette Kurtz

My daugher and son-in-law live in a home with a forced air furnace that uses oil for fuel. Their home smells strongly of oil–so much so that I can smell it on my grandson’s clothing.

I am concerned about their safety. Can you explain/help?

Thank you.

Jamie

COULD I PLEASE MAKE AN APPEAL FOR A DIAGRAM OF AN OCTOPUS FURNACE! ALSO I HAVE TAKEN AND “BARELY NOT PASSED THE NATIONAL HOME INSPECTION EXAM”, AS REQUIRED BY MY STATE SURE COULD USE A COST FREE HELPING HAND.

THANKYOU,

JAMIE

mike young

How do I blled the line of an oil furnace that has run dry. I need to get the oil back to the firebox. Thanks for your help.

Valerie Porter

I am looking to buy a furnace but don’t know much about them.I live in a small 3 bedroom bunglow and want to know what size furnace i should get.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Priv

Thanks for the help posted, we got her going again.

Diane Wilson

It’s 8pm on Saturday night and I ran out of heating oil for my forced hot air oil burner. My regular oil service has their answering machine on and I don’t think they’ll respond til maybe tomorrow. Other services I call won’t come out because I’m not a regular customer. Can I use kerosene from the gas station until I can get some heating oil? Is their any danger to people or to the furnace? Please help soon. We have five kids in the house.

Rocky Ridenour

I have used a mixture of off road fuel and kerosene, for the past 18 years. I spend between $300.00 to $400.00 a year. From Oct. to April.

I heat aprox. 2000 sq. ft. Now let gas and electric heat beat that price.

necee12
      Participant

the technician showed us once a while ago need some refreshment. we ran out of oil this morning and i have children here and it’s cold. please help.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.