Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Unregistered-Maddie

To get rid of a persistent sweet-smelling odor in my bathroom vanity cabinet (I believe it was from the expoxy resin surrounding the underside of my sink)my building manager sprayed kilz paint primer inside the cabinets. Now I have a new problem, which is getting rid of the kilz paint-like odor. It’s been two months, and the odor is still lingering – I’ve used a fan to circulate the air in the vanity area, but then the odor comes back when I close the cabinet doors. How to get rid of this odor for good?

MistressEll
      Participant

its likely acting like a sponge for moisture and off-gassing its nasty formalgihyde (spelling?) resin/glues and will continue to do so no matter what.

You *MIGHT* be able to seal the smells with a shellac sealer like original BIN.

Here is the rub: The underside, back (against the wall) edges, drawer backs, etc. would still be unsealed – yet able to absorb the ambient moisture produced in the bathroom during normal bathing/showering activities.

A bathroom exaust fan run during any water activites, and for sufficient time thereafter would be a must.

Of course if the “sweet” smell comes from something else (like a spill or other nasty odor) which was sucked up by the vanity via the FLOOR contact point – nothing is going to solve the problem other than replacing the vanity.

Something as simple as condensation from the toilet carried along a tiled floor to the vanity base can be responsible for this – of course other liquids/combinations could be responsible as well.

One man’s sweet is another man’s stink.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.