Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      boothbay
      Participant

I like a drill that is good for around the home. I was looking at the Dremel styllus that is capable of drilling 3″ screws. I also saw something that is called a right angle drill adapter, of which i never heard of..is it something that gets attached to a regular drill? What is its purpose? Finally, I saw an ad for a Tornado 21.6v cordless drill for only $39…the Dremel is $69 and the adapter $18 Any help would be appreciated.

doug seibert
      Participant

And you have mixed your info……

The Dremel Stylus is a Rotary tool….spins at 5,000 RPM at it’s SLOWEST…..the chuck accepts 1/8″ Dremel bits for polishing/grinding/carving…

The Tornado with a Max 550 RPM will drive those 3″ screws but it’s an “off-brand” that you may never find a repair-if-needed…

You don’t need the angle adapter….it imitates the look of a right angle holesaw used for electrical and plumbing…..but without the powerful 1/2″ drill.

My opinion for your first drill:
      Get a corded drill…..3/8″ chuck …..variable speed…..less than $50

“……measure Once…..cut Twice….
      throw that one away and cut a new one….”

Bruno1949
      Participant

The other drill is an off brand tool trying to play into the ‘higher voltage is better’ game. When it breaks next month you won’t find any parts.

Stick with a cord powered, name brand drill motor. Makita, Dewalt, Milwaukee, Chicago, even Black & Decker. A 3/8″ chuck will work for 99.9% of your needs. Variable speed is a good idea. You can buy any of them for less than $40 and they will last 20+ years. Forget the cordless drills. Forget hammer drills. Forget right angle adapters. You won’t need them often enough to make them worthwhile.

A good, name brand, corded drill motor will work better, longer, and harder than any no name drill or battery powered drill.

I have a $250 Chicago cordless drill. I have a $20 Makita corded drill. I grab the 20 year old Makita more than I do the 5 year old Chicago because it’s faster and never breaks down. I use the Chicago on the roof, or in the closet, or any place I need something quick and not as powerful. I can drill holes with my corded drill until my arm falls off. You can’t do that with a battery powered drill.

You can buy a good tool once, or a bad tool five times. The choice is yours.

Unregistered-bob

panasonic makes probably the best cordless drill out there. I’ve used it for attaching roof decking in the past and it has so much torque i had to use both hands.

itsreallyconcrete
      Participant

buy a 1/4″ – it’ll have enough guts to drive 3″ screws provided you pre-drill the correct size opening as you’d have to do w/any drill.

variable speed & reverse are good features,,, guess i’m a senior, too, as is my bride but we only have 3/8″ battery & 1/2″ corded.

itsreallyconcrete.com
      decorative conc artisan
      conc repairs

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.