Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-rickluse@yahoo.com

I have been hearing about a new product called Thermo paint. They are claiming that 1 application of this paint produces an r value of 6″ of blown / or baffle material and that it also produces a sound barrier that eliminate 50% of sound.They are claiming that this can be used interior and exterior apps and that it can go over painted dry wall provided that the surface is clean. etc. Its like 100.00 per gallon.and cover 25 square feet or so..Has anyone used this product. If so have you had a positive experince with it? In Chicago, only certain Home Depot stores carry it.

Unregistered-lg

that guy that had those coins sticking to the walls that’s what he used.

Bruno1949
      Participant

I’ve ever learned. A metallic paint CAN reflect some solar radiation but that hardly does any good inside. And metals, ALL metals, are excellent thermal conductors, NOT insulators. Unless the layer of paint forms a vacuum between layers or is magical there is no way for 1/16th inch layer of paint to block thermal radiation or thermal conduction. I’ve read some ads on the stuff and it sounds like snake oil to me. EXPENSIVE snake oil at that, but that also makes sense. “It must be good because it costs so much.” I know P.T. Barnum never really said it, but it still applies: “There’s a sucker born every minute”.

Face it, a GOOD double pane window with a 1/2 inch vacuum between the panes has an R value of maybe 6 or so on a good day. How is a paint supposed to do that?

Until Underwriter’s Labs or some other REAL scientific group tests it and verifies it does work I’d stay well clear of it.

homebild
      Participant

These type paints have been around for some time and the insulating claims about them are largely true.

They contain additives first developed for NASA that will produce about an R-4 insulating value.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/nasalife/green_paint.html

Because of the cost, however, it will take so long to pay off the paint in terms of energy dollars saved that it really isn’t worth it.

You can save more by taking smaller measurers like caulking and sealing air leaks to reduce energy costs.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.