Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      DANNY

I recently removed wallpaper from my dining room walls. I used a chemical solution to get all the adhesive off I also rinsed them numerous times. I primed them with a latex base.Only to find out that I should have used an oil base prime. I have not yet proceeded with the top coat. Will I have a problem with blistering or cracking in the future. Again I do believe I have removed most if not all of the adhesive. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

BobF

The latex based primer s/b ok. The key was removing all the adhesive and chemical stripper residue. Oil wouldn’t help if anything left on the walls.

s bird

I need instructions on how to white wash furniture

Anne Free

I had a lot of trouble stripping the wallpaper off the main wall in my laundry which left some indentations in the wall. I filled these but have found afer sanding the wall and painting the undercoat that quite a few of the marks are still showing. Can you please suggest a technic that will cover the marks in the wall and won’t cost a lot as I can’t afford much more. Is there a textured roller? or something that will give the wall texture?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Anne

Jon

We have commmercial grade vinyl on our family room walls and hallways. It was installed several years ago over foil wallpaper which would not come off. I’m now hesitant to remove it. What do you recommend we do to paint over this vinyl? It has a texture.

Deb M.

I would love to obtain that “shabby chic” look for my old bedroom furniture, which is a dark stained pine. How do I go about doing this?

Thank you!!

Cherie

My living room has one wall that is barn sided I want to lighten it up. How do I white wash wood?

Annette Smith

Can I white wash paint my kitchen cabinets without striping the old stain?

Handyman
      Participant

First sand and clean all wood surfaces to be white washed. This process will bring out the wood’s grain with white but other colors can be easily substituted. First brush on a light coat of flat, oil-base paint then before it sets, wipe much of it off with a clean dust free rag; the more paint you removed, the more texture/grain will be visible. Repeat until you get the desired tone. If you wait too long before wiping, the paint will set and be difficult to remove. When this happens use a rag dipped in mineral spirits to remove the semi-set paint. While in the process of applying generally, wipe off most of the paint as you can more easily go back and apply more than remove the old. Take your time and be sure the surface is free of all dust before starting.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.