Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      homebild
      Participant

Friend of mine called me today, a real estate inspector, and asked me if I knew of an exception to the 12 foot receptacle spacing along walls for log homes.

Seems that the log home builder was giving him a ‘load’ and a lot of ‘resistance’ when my friend pointed out that the builder had not placed receps at the minimum required 12 ft spacing..

The builder claimed there was exception, and my friend called to ask of me if I knew of any exceptions.

Told him I knew of none for log homes and that where receps could not be placed in walls, they were required to be placed in floors.

But since I am not a certified electrical inspector (as is obvious to many on this board) I told him I would enquire further.

Anyone know of exception to the 12ft spacing rule for receps that applies to log homes/Mass wall homes?

Thanks in advance for the education…

homebild

Billhart
      Participant

No.

“210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets
      This section provides requirements for 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle outlets.
      Receptacle outlets required by this section shall be in addition to any receptacle that is
      part of a luminaire (lighting fixture) or appliance, located within cabinets or cupboards,
      or located more than 1.7 m (5 1/ 2 ft) above the floor.
      Permanently installed electric baseboard heaters equipped with factory-installed
      receptacle outlets or outlets provided as a separate assembly by the manufacturer shall be
      permitted as the required outlet or outlets for the wall space utilized by such permanently
      installed heaters. Such receptacle outlets shall not be connected to the heater circuits.

(A) General Provisions In every kitchen, family room, dining room, living room, parlor,
      library, den, sunroom, bedroom, recreation room, or similar room or area of dwelling
      units, receptacle outlets shall be installed in accordance with the general provisions
      specified in 210.52(A)(1) through (A)(3).
      (1) Spacing Receptacles shall be installed so that no point measured horizontally along
      the floor line in any wall space is more than 1.8 m (6 ft) from a receptacle outlet.

(2) Wall Space As used in this section, a wall space shall include the following:
      (1) Any space 600 mm (2 ft) or more in width (including space measured around
      corners) and unbroken along the floor line by doorways, fireplaces, and similar
      openings
      (2) The space occupied by fixed panels in exterior walls, excluding sliding panels
      (3) The space afforded by fixed room dividers such as freestanding bar-type counters
      or railings(2) Wall Space As used in this section, a wall space shall include the following:
      (1) Any space 600 mm (2 ft) or more in width (including space measured around
      corners) and unbroken along the floor line by doorways, fireplaces, and similar
      openings
      (2) The space occupied by fixed panels in exterior walls, excluding sliding panels
      (3) The space afforded by fixed room dividers such as freestanding bar-type counters
      or railings

(3) Floor Receptacles Receptacle outlets in floors shall not be counted as part of the
      required number of receptacle outlets unless located within 450 mm (18 in.) of the wall.”

His is from the NEC handbook. It is not code, but compentary and explanations.

For (A)(1).

“Receptacles are required to be located so that no point in any wall space is more than 6
      ft from a receptacle. This rule intends that an appliance or lamp with a flexible cord
      attached may be placed anywhere in the room near a wall and be within 6 ft of a
      receptacle, thus eliminating the need for extension cords. Although not an enforceable
      requirement, receptacles may be placed equal distances apart where there is no specific
      room layout for the general use of electrical equipment. Section 210.52(A)(1) does not
      prohibit a receptacle layout designed for intended utilization equipment or practical
      room use. For example, receptacles in a living room, family room, or den that are
      intended to serve home entertainment equipment or home office equipment may be
      placed in corners, may be grouped, or may be placed in a convenient location.
      Receptacles that are intended for window-type holiday lighting may be placed under
      windows. In any event, even if more receptacles than the minimum are installed in a
      room, no point in any wall space is permitted to be more than 6 ft from a receptacle.”

(A)(2)

“A wall space is a wall unbroken along the floor line by doorways, fireplaces, archways,
      and similar openings and may include two or more walls of a room (around corners),
      as illustrated in Exhibit 210.24.
      Fixed room dividers, such as bar-type counters and railings, are to be included in the 6-
      ft measurement. Fixed panels in exterior walls are counted as regular wall space, and a
      floor-type receptacle close to the wall can be used to meet the required spacing.
      Isolated, individual wall spaces 2 ft or more in width are often used for small pieces of
      furniture on which a lamp or an appliance may be placed, and to preclude the use of an
      extension cord to supply equipment in such an isolated space, a receptacle outlet is
      required.
      The word usable does not appear at all in 210.52 as a condition for determining
      compliance with the receptacle-spacing requirements. As an example, to correctly
      determine the dimension of the wall line in a room, the wall space behind the swing of
      a door is included in the measurement. This does not mean that the receptacle outlet
      has to be located in that space, only that the space has been included in the wall-line
      measurement.”

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.