Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Unregistered-David

My shower wall tile caved in in the corner 3 different times in different places. Each time it did, I removed the tile, took a piece of rockboard and nailed it in. I mortared the tile back onto the rockboard.

Last year before Christmas, I decided to replace the tub spout as it had leaked. I would pull the shower tab up and there would still be water coming from the spout!

Anyway, I went to remove the old one with a wrench and the tile all fell off around it. Being in a hurry, I took a white plastic panel and used silicone glue and glued it to the wall to cover the broken broken wall. Then I caulked it all to prevent anymore rot.

Now I will soon need to redo the whole shower walls, but I guess I will not be able to reuse the old tile as it is too small to motar in. It would take forever!
      So what is a good material to use?
      I like tile, but it is a bit expensive, but I hate to use fiberglass walls.

Also there is a window in the shower. The tub is white enamel and I will plan on leaving it alone. The walls will be ripped out, any dryrot replaced as well as any bad plumbing and new insulation. All that will remain is the tub and window.

PLEASE! help!

PS: I am wondering why it rotted in the first place. I think the pipes leaked as there is evidence of a patching job of the drywall on the other side of the wall. It looks like they tore out the wall to fix something, maybe the plumbing? The house is 20 years old, thanks.

doug seibert
      Participant

………and visit their “Liberry”….Lots of shower info…….

JohnBridgeTileForum

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.