Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      jsm1974
      Participant

My house is 6 yrs old and has mw windows. I have three windows that do not meet or lock in the middle. As a result, heat and ac escape when the tops fall. I have contacted the mw rep to no avail. He blows me off. Is anyone out there happy with these windows?

would like to help, I am versed in the entire window industry.

Christopher Smith
      Design Consultant
      Renewal by Anderson
      New Jersey/New York

Unregistered-HoltHome

My home was built back in 1995, and I have 32 double hung, 1 casement, two patio sliding doors, and all are the MW Freedom Vinyl clad.

First, I went through four locksets for my sliding doors and keep extras close at hand. Some little spring will break.

Some time later I notice one window had a problem getting it to lock and found the bottom rail of the upper sash was bowed/warped. No problem getting the replacement sash from my local lumber store.

A few years later, my wife tried to clean windows during the winter by tipping them out and the vinyl/plastic balances crack/split/chipped. I purchase replacement balance kits, they were a little different and seem to install okay.

The next year I found an upper sash with a bad seal where the gas had leaked from between the glass. A closer inspection in the same room I found a lower sash with a rotten bottom rail. This windows was downstairs next to the window with the bad seal.

I decided to buy one complete replacement sash (Upper & Lower). By doing this I thought I could use the bottom sash of the replacement to replace the rotten lower sash on one, while replacing the upper sash with the bad seal on the other. But when it arrived MW had changed the window style.

There was a finger grove across the entire upper & lower sash’s instead of two individual one’s on either side of the lower sash as on my old windows. Also when the newer window was placed next two an older window, the upper/bottom rails were lower then on the older window. Since there was 6 windows (or three double windows) in this area, I had to order all new windows so they would match.

Upon receiving the replacement, one had finger locks for the tilt out feature. I assume this was another change.

While painting a spare room on my second floor, I found another lower rail with wood rot.

Upon replacing the first window (sash’s and balances) I discovered wood rot between the center jamb, and on some side jambs too.

I’m betting that there are plenty of other windows with wood rot after finding these.

I assume that these windows come with a nailer, so the cost of replacing all the windows on the lower floor would be expensive since we have a brick exterior. The second floor would be easier because of the vinyl siding.

MW windows needs to change their quality control section. Oh as my luck would have it, MM only warrants their windows for ten years.

I would not recommend to anyone to buy these windows………..Anyone know a name of a good replacement window?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.