Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-annie

we can not find the source of our problem with are multipule outlets not working. My husband is knowlegable of wiring…but this one has him stumped. 5 outlets in various parts of the house are not working. we have checked the breaker box found a 15 amp blown. we have a finished basement and no idea where the juntion boxs could be. we have not been able to use 2/3 of out outlets in the house. I am worried that this might over load what we are using now and cause more problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Thank You
      Annie

Unregistered-Andy

Has anyone driven any nails or hung pictures lately? Maybe someone hit a cable behind the wall. Any recent electrical work done? What loads are on the affected outlets? Since one breaker was tripped, I assume all of these outlets are on that breaker?
      Just some idea!
      Andy

thiggy
      Participant

Did you replace the blown fuse? If so, did the new one blow immediately? If not, when the fuse was replaced were the outlets still inoperative? If the outlets are still not working after replacing fuse and it has not blown again, there may be a poor connection at one of the recepticles which feeds all the rest.

joests
      Participant

A Thiggy said, I would check all the outlets for a loose conection
      a loose wire may be the cause of all of this

Jasper
      Participant

* When a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) trips, any outlet after it in the circuit will not have power. The GFCI could have tripped when an appliance or short blew the fuse.
      * Trip the circuit breaker for that circuit. Remove the outlet cover on each outklet and smell for an electrical burned smell.
      * Using a Volt/Ohm meter, measure between the ground plug and one side of the outlet. If you measure 110 volts, then the neutral (white wire) is open. If no 110 volts, the the Black wire is open.
      * Measure Resistance between the copper ground wire and the white wire. There should be zero ohms or a very low measurement. If infinite resistance, then the white wire is open.
      * Report back your findings…
      Adios… Jasper.

Jasper Castillo

Jasper
      Participant

The GFCI is generally an outlet that has two push buttons beterrn the outlets. One is the RESET and the other the TEST. If you find a GFCI, push the RESET. The GFCI could also be a box by itself. It will have a GREEN light for ok and a RED light for a fault. They can be hard to find. I found mine in a closit.
      Adios… Jasper.

Jasper Castillo

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.