Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Illyra
      Participant

Hi all,

In just the last couple of days, I have noticed a wet, musty smell when I walk into my living room. I tracked it to the air vent in the floor; this happens to be the one closest to the air conditioning unit, which is located outside the wall approximately 5 feet away. The air conditioner is at least 12-years old, by the way, and I’ve never had any maintenance done on it.

I checked the other vents throughout the house, plus the crawl space underneath. I can’t detect the smell any place else. I didn’t crawl under the house (spiders, ughhh) but a friend inspected it last fall and he said everything was fine at that time.

What I need are opinions. Do you think the air conditioner is the source of the smell? Is there something that needs to be cleaned out that I can handle myself, or should I call in a professional? By the way, we are having an unusually cool summer where I live in western OR, so we’ve hardly used it this summer.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks,

Illyra

MistressEll
      Participant

you said: “The air conditioner is at least 12-years old, by the way, and I’ve never had any maintenance done on it.”

Ugh!

Is it fair to ASSUME that despite your infrequent use of the system, that these odors were evidenced after a perior of USE?!?

It is patently obvious by your post, that you have neither acquired nor performed minimal maintenance of your HVAC system. You also provide NO useful information to minimally assist a resonable hypothosis.

Advice: get off your *** and spend a few bucks and have your system minimally serviced! expect to pay mor than a FEW bucks to make up for your failure to assure proper maintenance. At a minimum expect to pay T & M plus diagonositcs and travel time to replace or clean your condensate drain line/tube and clean the tray. This of course assumes you don’t have something awful (like the mere accumulation of dust, dirt, grime and possibly growth of nastyness in either you supply or return venting.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.