* Please call your church and inform them that all electrical circuits near the Baptismal Font and microphone amplifiers must have a GFCI installed. The minister was in the Font and reached and touched a microphone. He completed the circuit to ground and was electrocuted. There are other devices like GFCI’s that should be considfered also.
* Adios… Jasper.
I wonder how many amps the mike had serving to it and whether it was served by a breaker or a fuse. I mean, I’ve been tagged a few times (in the beginning of my electrical forays) and have found 20 amp or less is a good wake up call but not deadly. Not that electricity is anything to fool with, no doubt, but how many amps were going to the outlet that served the mike? Why didn’t a breaker break?
GFCI is most certainly one of the best fixes for damp areas (I don’t care if the outlet is 6 feet from a basin or not, if the general area is wet I go with GFCI’s), but I wonder if there were other wiring issues that contributed to this tragedy. I know that this incident has caused me to switch to GFCI for an outlet outside a bathroom door in my home now.
GFCI is an excellent idea and an easy solution. But I bet there are other electrical issues that contributed to that man’s death. Or maybe I’m missing something here because I’ve never dealt with microphones and don’t understand their unique dangers.