• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Gurdeep

HELP!!! We’ve been killing about 2 mice a month…
      How can we get rid of them?

Tom

borrow a cat!

Bruce M

Hi Gurdeep:
      We too had a mouse problem about a year ago. This prompted a bit of research on our part to determine why they were with us and what we could do to get them out.

It seems mice are a teritorrial lot, with distinct plots of real estate they call their own. When real estate is scarce (as is often the case during mild winters when their numbers proliferate in the spring), they may inhabit areas they would normally avoid, like the inside of your house. If you don’t have an effective deterrent (like a cat or dog) and this occurs, they will stay put until you destroy them (it seems they will not become dissuaded and go elsewhere once they have settled in). If they proliferate in your house, then your problems proliferate, as ours did.

Other than a hunter tom-cat, the only way we found to remove them was to trap them. I used the standard 4″ mousetrap, bated with peanut butter (they love the stuff). In the course of 4 months I caught about 8 mice of various sizes. Once smashed in the trap, I put the carcuses out on the curb, where many of the local carnivorous birds found their meals. By carefully keeping doors and windows shut, we have not had any mice infestations since then.

Best wishes

Bruce M

Dale M

I also find the fall a time when the mice invade the home. I hate to go and empty the traps so I buy D-con mice bait. You have to be sure it is out the reach of children and pets but the mice sure do love this stuff. It has an anticoagulant in it so they eat the stuff and sometime later they internally hemorrhage. They are usually not found and if they are, I just sweep them up and send them on a white water trip down the toilet. Because they are so small, they usually do not emit an odor. Be sure you do not put them where a cat can eat them because the cat could also become a victim of the anticoagulant.
      Have fun and remember, the early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese (or peanut butter).

Robert k

It seems everyone has a diferent solution for each problem. I too had mice problems last year. Shortly after settling into a house that I bought the cold weather came upon us and I found out that some unwanted visitors had moved in. To start with I bought some glue traps and placed them around where the little critters seemed to be going most. I then had a professional exterminator come in who surveyed my house. He found some area where they seemed to be getting in. The garage door was the biggest problem. It had been slightly off track and it left enough space for them to enter my home. The exterminator put poison packets around the house – from the basement to the attic, where ever he found droppings. (be careful of small children or pets). I replaced the garage door to seal up the opening. ( I needed it done anyway it just happened a bit sooner than I planned). Finally some friends and coworkers told me about a product they saw on QVC called Riddex. It is one of those devices that you plug into a wall and it supposedly sends out some sort of signal that annoys the buggers so thay want to move onto the a neighbors house. I bought two and they seem to have worked. I can’t swear by them but I have not seen a mouse in the house since. Basically I would say seal up any places where they might get in and don’t leave anything foods around where they can find a feast and decide to stay. Make it as unwelcome for them as possible!!!!! Good luck…….

maxey

I signed up and got the worst service from ORKIN. Help me, I’ve got a two year old and cannot put down traps.

Chayne

I’ve killed 8 mice in 3 days and still got more i’ve tried every thing how can I get RID OF THEM!!!!!

Jeff

Very usefull reading, a mouse and possibly friends have arrived under our house. I have followed the collective advice and laid some poison bait trays down where we found droppings and where items have been chewed. We have 2 air bricks under the house with holes about 10mm square to allow air to flow and keep in dry. I can only imagine they either climbed through these or they got in when the door was open!

Any advice on how small a gap is needed to stop mice would be appreciated, as I will fit smaller wire screens if required to block this route!

starr

HELP PLEASE!!!! I live on the ground level of an appartmen and have a mouse I cannon get rid of what should I do?

starr

HELP PLEASE!!!! I live on the ground level of an appartmen and have a mouse I cannon get rid of what should I do?

Karin

I live in the country and have mice in my house,garage,barn and fifthwheel.I dont like to use poison because I also have a cat.What can I do. Thank you Karin.

MANDY LOVE

Can you please help. We keep racing pigeons and in the past year have noticed the mice moving in. We do not keep the food in the pigeon lofts, we keep it in a sealed container indoors. We only feed what the Pigeons can eat, so there is no waste food. But they still keep comming. Unforturnatly we cannot put poison down, in case the pigeons or our dogs eat it.

Is there anything you can recommend. Some of our friends who also keep pigeons have tried the gaget that is suposed to send off a high pitch sound that mice do not like. But this does not work either.

Please can you help, as I am petrified of them.

Thanks

Mandy Love

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.