Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum Matching texture/surface on an old plaster wall

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Sal

I’ve got 75 year old home with gorgeous plaster textured walls that have cracks which I’m repairing. Question is, what tool(s) did they use to create the texture so I can replicate it. It’s a smooth wall with below surface moon craters/pock-like indentations on about 90% of the surface. Can anyone help me determine how they got it that way? A rag doesn’t match and a sponge creates above the surface peaks/bumps. These are slightly concave indentations with only slight peaks against an already smooth surface—again, like below surface moon craters. THANKS!

electricmanscott

The texture is actually just the old plaster. It was not like todays plaster wich mixes up creamy smooth. I dont really know how to recreate the look. When I did some repairs in my 70 year old house I repainted with Ralph Lauren River Rock paint from the Depot. It has a subtle texture that pretty much hid the repairs. It also has a nicer look that regular paint. Dont let them suck you in to buying their special rollers. I bought one and compared it to a regular short knap roller and there is no difference.

Bruce Ridenour

This is one of those thing that, unless I look at it, I really can’t imagine how to reproduce it. But it sounds like one of two things. Either it’s a “greycoat” plaster or a “knockdown”. Greycoat is like a cheap plaster that was put up as an initial fill and was never meant to be the finish surface. A finish plaster was usually applied to provide a smooth surface. I have stripped wallcoverings and uncovered greycoat many times, and then had to skim to get a decent wall.

Knockdown texture is a texture that was applied either with a brush, sponge or sprayed on with a texture gun (like the kind that is used for “Popcorn” ceilings). Before the texture dries, a taping knife is drawn over the wall to knock down the high points leaving a texture very much like what you have described.

Gary Nelson

We have a kitchen with the ugliest textured walls. The texture is a relatively deep randam pattern with 1/16in. to 1/8in. peaks and valleys. Original owner probably used some sort of interior stucco type texture. It has at least 3 coats of paint with the last being a white semi-gloss. Is it possible to put any type of texture directly over the existing walls without the need for complete demolition and rehanging new drywall. Are there any products or techniques that would cover a heavily textured wall to allow, let’s say a rough knockdown finish? Please any suggestions or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Lesley McConnell

I have an older home (~85 yrs) with plaster walls. The plaster in my kitchen is in bad shape (cracks, some light texture, yet mostly smooth). It is very ugly. I would like more of an even finish. I bought some knockdown texture to spray directly onto the plaster painted wall. Do I have to do anything to prep it up or can I spray directly onto the surface? Any comment or suggestion is appreciated.

fchafen@earthnet.com

I have a house that was built in the 1950’s.

My question is… can I apply a knockdown texture to the exsisting cement/plaster interior walls? If so can I apply it over a semi gloss paint or will I need to put up primer up before the texture?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.