Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-DCEEEWPERRY

HI I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE ON CONSTRUCTION AND RENOVATION. I LIVE IN AN OLD HOUSE THAT WAS RIDICULOUSLY BUILT. IT WAS BUILT TILTED AND SO EVERYTHING INSIDE GOES DOWN HILL. I NEED TO REMOVE TWO BEDROOMS TO PUT IN KITCHEN AND LIVING ROOM AS THE KITCHEN AS IT SETS IS IN THE BACK OF THE HOUSE WITH A SINGLE WINDOW AND DOOR LEADING LITERALLY TO THE THE HILLSIDE. SO THERE IS NO LIGHT IN IT. ALSO, FLOORS ARE FALLING IN, CEILING BADLY NEEDS REPLACED DUE TO SO MANY LEAKS AND OF COURSE ROOF DOES TOO. ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT AS I HAVE 4 SMALL CHILDREN AND DON’T HAVE THE MONEY TO MOVE, REBUILD OR HIRE SOMEONE. AS THIS WILL BE A SLOW RENOVATION. OH ALSO ANY INFO ON WHERE I CAN BUY USED MATERIAL ETC WOULD BE WONDERFUL TOO. THANKS

Billhart
      Participant

First of all it is bad form to type if all caps. It is hard to read and is reserved for “SHOOTING” online and best used for only a few words or a sentence.

But break it up into paragraphs. Along with normal punctation and space between sentences.

Start with get a couple of books on genral home maintance and repairs. Home Depot has one and so does Readers Digest.

Then go to the library and look for books on construction and carpentry that will show how the house is put togethr.

Faron79
      Participant

If the home is THAT badly constructed, consider the harsh reality that you may have to throw more $$$ into it, than the house is worth.

The foundation/flooring itself may need to be re-built…then the roof has to be replaced….

These are LARGE expenses, and cause major time/mess to put up with. I’m sorry, but maybe moving IS the best option. They are NOT easy fixes if you’re not hiring anyone.

Faron

Unregistered-X

…like the major disaster was buying the house in the first place.

Sorry, if that sounds harsh, but maybe you shouldn’t have bought it if it is in THAT bad condidtion. The fact that you did now means you need to live with it and the un-nice-ness of living through the slow repairs/remodels it seems to need.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.