Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Unregistered-middleangst

Need advice on outdoor lighting dilemma. What we have is custom-made recessed low voltage lights installed in a wall. The bi-pins are making us crazy because the MR16 bulbs keep loosening and falling out of their sockets (remember they are mounted vertically).

After some research, I have narrowed the replacement possibilities to two:

1) Stick with the low voltage and replace bi-pin sockets with GU7 twist & lock types and get the right MR16 bulbs for the new sockets. My concern with this option is the heat build-up that might occur; the bulb sits inside a tube which is closed with a lens cover.

2) Switch over to line voltage and give up on the 12 v stuff so the bulbs can screw in instead of plug in. Also the heat build-up becomes less of a concern, or does it?

Or is there another option I am missing? Or any other concerns with the two options above that I should know about?
      Thanks.

Billhart
      Participant

GU7 bulbs are not common.

I was looking for some and only had the term “Twist and Lock” and no one at local lighting stores or several light bulbs supply houses.

However, once I did find online that they where GU7 base then I was able to find several online sources. But even then several said that they where special order.

So I have a problem recommending them.

If you go the line voltage bulb there are GU10 bulbs that are also MR-16, but 120 volts. Some type of base, but the spacing of the pins differ.

But in the same house with track lights with the GU7 bulbs there where many others with the more common bi-pin bulbs and sockets.

But they had a lens cover with a bracket that held it in place over the bulb and keeping them from comming loose.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.