Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      mountainrose
      Participant

My husband and I need to repair this problem, because there is so much to be done and it would be very expensive to have done professionally. In some rooms up and down the wall the tape has come loose, in some, across where the ceiling meets the wall. Maybe due to a long dry spell, a couple of doors are hard to shut, this tape has come loose, and there are cracks like down from the ceiling to where a door is placed. In a few places, the cracks are not just hairline cracks, but stick out maybe 1/4 inch. House was just all painted a couple of years ago, and I can still get the right color paint, so does anyone have some SIMPLE solution for 2 novices to fix these problems? We have been watering around the house, and the doors have been closing better, but these awful tape and cracks in the wall problems we need to fix! Thanks for any help that you can give us.

Giddaymate
      Participant

Hi Mountainrose, It not that hard to repair you own drywall. I am a diy mother with three kids and if I can do it, I know you can.

Cracks and loose tape joints are repaired similarly. In both cases you should use mesh tape to cover the crack or joint. This will reinforce the drywall compound and decrease the likelihood of the problem recurring.

Before applying the mesh tape to a “loose tape joint”, use a utility knife to carve out the loose material and old tape. Create a slight indentation in the work area to allow the new mesh tape and drywall compound to finish flush with the existing wall.

After you have applied mesh tape over the crack or joint, apply drywall compound. Using several light coats of drywall compound to cover the mesh tape. Build up a smooth, flush surface, allowing each coat to dry completely. Sand the final coat.

Let me know how you go, regards Noelene

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.