Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      AJ-trucker’s wife

Okay everyone, this is a no brainer, I know, but today I don’t seem to have one, so I have to ask…

My washing machine has been smelling and making my clothes smell ever since I fixed the water tank, when it was water logged. I searched previous posts and found the advice of checking the lint trap.

Where would I find a lint trap on a washing machine? It is a top loader.

Thanks

AJ

tomh

Welcome back AJTW! You have been aroung here long enough to know that we need the model to givev good information. Shame on you! LOL.

On my top-load, I can pull the center right out of the agitator, softener cup and all. It pulls straight out. That is where a lot of really creepy stuff accumulates in my washer. Give it a try, and if yours does not pull out, post back with the model #.

Dan O.

** Where would I find a lint trap on a washing machine? It is a top loader. **

That would depend on the brand and design of the washer in question. As Tom said, the unit’s *model number* would be needed to identify that. You can find tips for locating the model and serial number tag on your appliances in the ‘Repair Parts’ section of my site linked below.

I will warn you that most newer cloths washers do not have “lint filters”. The washer manufacturers now claim that removing lint is the job of a dryer not washers and have all but eliminated them from their machine’s design.

** My washing machine has been smelling and making my clothes smell **

A build up of undissolved detergent and fabric softener on parts of the washer is frequently a cause of that symptom. The top ‘splash guard’ on the tub and on and under the agitator are common places for such a build-up to occur.

In many cases the washer has to be at least partially disassembled to give those parts a thorough cleaning. That stuff can harden to like cement and beating the affected parts against a hard surface (eg. concrete floor) can sometimes chip it off quickly.

If that is found to be the cause in your case, I suggest you increase the wash water temperature and/or cut down on the amount of detergent and fabric softener you use (after you clean the affected parts).

JMO

Dan O.

http://www.Appliance411.com

The Appliance Information Site

=Ð~~~~~~

MiniFoxx
      Participant

Well, asked me to post back to let you know if advice was helpful…all the advice I have received here has been helpful, including what was posted for this.

Only thing is that it hasn’t helped. It is getting worse. If I don’t get the clothes out of the washer right away, they smell.

It smells like wet clothing that has been sitting in a bag for a while. I just wonder if somehow all of the water isn’t draining out. I don’t see any in the tub but I don’t know where the water goes as it spins out except to the drain hose…is there a larger collection point – something that leads to hose…know what I mean? It drains on all sides of the tub so there should be IMO a catch tub under the tub and that would lead to hose…something like that. And maybe there is standing water in there?

HELP!!!!!!!

Thanks guys, I do appreciate it ALOT!

MiniFoxx
      Formerly AJ-trucker’s wife

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.