• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Jim

Is a linear foot the same as a standard foot?

If not, how do I calculate linear feet. Thanks

bc

linear feet is the lenght of something in standard feet. Example: A roll of roofing felt may be 150 linear feet long when all rolled out but being 3′ wide it would be 450 sq.ft.

Its those metric people who are screwing up the world and confusing things. Good luck.

Jim Bachaud – Around The Sound

Interesting question!
      Many construction materials are sold or measured in a quantity refered to as Linear Feet. The “Linear” part refers to the length of whatever it is, whether it is a roll of fabric, gutters, trim, rope, chain, cable, etc.
      The “Feet” part is exactly what you think it is: 12 inches.

Sometimes you will see an estimated quantity of something like painting window trim, and that will sometimes be quoted in lf, or linear feet, and this is arrived at by measuring the perimeter of the window frame and any other parts to be painted. So, a single pane window with no grid that is 2′ x 2′ would estimate at 4 lf.

You also see the term “board-foot” which is a unit of measurement related to the number of cubic inches in a board. The key to figuring out bd ft is to remember that 1 bd ft equals 144 cubic inches. Any dimension lumber when figuring the thickness by the width by a length that will give you a total of 144 equals one bd ft. For example, a 2″x6″x12″ equals one board ft. 2 times 6 equals 12, times 12 equals 144, there by equaling one bd ft.

There is a wonderful board foot explaination at this website: http://www.villagewoodsmith.com/page20.html

Have fun!

Nia

How do you calculate how much linear feet of shelf space you have if your book shelves are 104 inches high and 74 inches wide?

Thanks

Nia

Jason Johnson

I have to bid a job per linear foot, the building is 62 feet wide by 432 feet long. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Kathy Camamo

Hi, if I have the sq foot of a home, am I able to calculate how many linear feet it is?

Jane Edwards

Is a linear foot the same as a standard foot? if not, how do i calculate linear feet?

Maryellen Welch

How do I figure out linear feet?

Georgina Meraz

If I have a banner thats 9.5′ X 4.5′ how would I determine how many linear feet it is?

Please help. Thank you.

kay

if linear foot is the same as a foot why put linear in front

CATHY

I NEED TO KNOW HOW MANY LINEAR FEET ARE IN A CABINET THAT IS 6′ IN HIEITH, 6′ IN LENGTH AND 24″ IN WIDTH. CAN YOU HELP ME.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.