Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      cdngeo
      Participant

I’m replacing a light fixture. The wires coming out of the ceiling are white, black and red. The previous fixture had 2 wires. The of the wires from the ceiling were connecting to one of the light fixture’s wires and the 3rd wire from the ceiling was connected to the other light fixture’s wire. Unfortunately I didn’t take note which wires were connected to each other. My new fixture has 2 wires(white and black) and a bare copper ground wire. I tested the wires in the ceiling and only the black has a reading. How do I wire this?

Jasper
      Participant

* Connect the white (Neutral) wires together.
      * Connect the Hot Black wire to the Fixture Black wire.
      * Tape up the red wire. The red wire is sometimes used if you have 3 way switching..
      * Good luck… Adios… Jasper

Jasper Castillo

Unregistered-lg

i would say the red and black from the ceiling would go to the light’s black and the white from the ceiling would go to the light’s white.

Jasper
      Participant

* Let’s get our facts together:
      * Wire #1 is the Hot black wire that goes to the light switch. Wire #2 goes from the other side of the switch to the light fixture black wire.
      *Wire #3 is the white(Neutral) wire that comes with the hot wire and goes to the light fixture connecting to the fixture white wire.
      * At this point the light should work.
      * Using your voltmeter, measure the voltage on the black wire at the light fixture. When you have the light switch on, there should be 120 Volts ac on wire #2. When you flip the switch off, the voltage on wire #2 should go away.
      * Assuming you have voltage on wire #2 and it is connected to the black wire going to the light fixture AND white wire #3 is connected to the white wire going to the light fixture AND you measure 120 volts between the white wire #2 and Hot Black wire #2, then the light should work with the switch.
      *IF at this point the light still doesn’t work then: A. Put a new bulb in the fixture.
      B. Using an ohm meter and with power off, check for continuity between the fixture black wire and the center tab in the socket.
      C. Check continuity between the white wire and the outer socket.
      D. Replace the fixture.
      * Good luck… Adios… Jaspr

Jasper Castillo

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.