• This topic has 3 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 19 years, 2 months ago by Unregistered-Tin ceiling – we are considering it…..
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      ljoh832266
      Participant

My husband and I have recently purchase a new home. The house is 21 years old and contains much of the original cabinets, applainces, tile, doors, etc. The first project we intend to start is with the kitchen. The cabinets are very dark brown wood with laminate sides. We intend to strip and paint them (our finances will not allow us to replace them). Does anyone have any suggestions on how we may change the tile backsplash behind the stove, around the kitchen wall, under the window, above the sink? It’s horrid! Can we paint it? Can we tile over it? Could we cover it with a stainless steel backsplash? Or is removal our only option? And, if so, how would we go about removing it without causing much damage to the wall surface? Please help us. We are new at this DIY home improvement, but we want to try, we need to try. Money is tight and we want the satisfaction of having completed the renovation ourselves. Thanks so much!

Giddaymate
      Participant

What ever you do don’t remove the old kitchen tiles. You can tile over the top of them. There is a special adhesive you can buy for that job. If you try to remove the old tiles you will never get a good surface to tile over and you will end up having to replace that part of the wall. A year ago I re-tiled my kitchen, and I tiled over the old tiles and it looks great. My tiles also went around my kitchen window but not to the ceiling so when you tile over the top the new tiles sits out a tiny bit,all you do is make the top row of tiles sit a bit higher than the old tiles and fill it in with grout. This is a trick most tilers do.It’s also handy to not only have a tile cutter but an angle grinder for cutting eg. a corner piece out of a tile and curves. Also you can use cardboard cut-out as a pattern for around odd shapes then draw it onto your tile. Have fun regards Noelene

Giddaymate
      Participant

Hi again,
      I have found a company here in Australia that has a base in the USA called Davco. The adhesive is called SE-7 you can read about it at http://www.davco.com.au
      look under product guide for Adhesives then click on cement base then click on SE-7 the USA site is http://www.davcousa.com the Aus site has more info on it. love to here how it all turns out. giddaymatediy@hotmail.com
      Regards Noelene PS sorry for the delay in getting back to you because where on different time zones. Its 2pm 29th Jan here.

Unregistered-Tin ceiling – we are considering it….

We are considering doing glass tiles – not too expensive in some tile stores – or a tin backsplash. Try looking at http://www.mbossinc.com – some of the photos they have aren’t the most flattering, but with the right countertops and colors it might work.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.