Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum kenmore gas range….light switch not working

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      skigem
      Participant

My lady kenmore gas range works very well except for the oven and panel light switch (they are always on). The on/off switch on the panel for both items does not work, so in order to turn off the lights, I have to unplug the oven (the gas still works unplugged). Then when I need to bake something, I simply plug it back in. The oven and panel lights stay on until I unplug the oven again. Timer, temperature, clock, etc all work well when they are plugged in.

This seems like it’s got to be a simple fix. I don’t want to buy a new stove when it works well except the light switch.

Any suggestions?

skigem
      Participant

I have a beautiful tile floor except for all the chipped tiles. It leaves a brown spot in the pink tile. I can’t afford to replace the entire floor. Is there a way to “patch” chipped tile? I’d be ok with a paint of somesort as long as the floor looked smooth and w/o brown spots. Any suggestions?

Jasper
      Participant

There’s a switch either on the door or where the door meets the oven. When the door is closed, the switch is pushed in and breaks the circuit. It looks like the switch is broke and makes the circuit all the time. Unplug the electrical cord, remove the screws around the door that keeps it together. Inspect the switch, it may be loose. If you can, remove one wire to simulate an open switch. Put some tape on the lose wire. Connect the electrical plug. If the light remains off, then you have a defective switch. If so, take the switch to an electrical supply house or the manufacturers rep and get a new switch. If you are going to use the oven, reconnect the wire to the switch. The tape used on the wire could melt. Don’t want that…
      Adios… Jasper.

Jasper Castillo

DanO
      Participant

** My lady kenmore gas range … the oven and panel light switch (they are always on). The on/off switch on the panel for both items does not work **

I’m afraid without knowing exactly which Kenmore range model you have and how it was designed, it is difficult to say what the cause(s) may be. The only way to identify which appliance design you have is with the model number from its *model and serial number tag*.

You can find tips for locating that identification tag on your appliances in the ‘Repair Parts’ section of my web site linked below.

If your range model uses a door activated switch for the oven interior light, Jasper may be correct to the cause of that light staying on. However I can’t see that effecting the console panel light so there is likely another problem as well.

JMO

Dan O.
      http://www.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Kenmore+Gas+Range
      The Appliance Information Site
      =D~~~~~~

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.