Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Unregistered-teresia522

SO it’s 4:00 am, dog needs to go out, so I decide to go out to the hot tub. It’s hot, 104, but there is no power. I go to the garage, reset the GFCI, it trips. I do this about a dozen times. The tub and GFCI system are about three years old. I’m just wondering if I need to replace the GFCI or there is a bigger issue with my hot tub. How often should the GFCI be replaced? Has anyone out there ever had a similar issue and what strategies might you suggest?

Bruno1949
      Participant

A normal breaker that trips a couple of dozen times is worn out. I would suggest doing some troubleshooting before replacing the breaker.

A GFCI trips when it senses a small return current in the ground or neutral lines. That amount of current can be caused by nothing more than a small amount of moisture inside one of the junction boxes or even cobwebs.

Turn off the breaker and trace the wiring to the hot tub. Open each junction box you find in the line. There might only be one near the tub or there could be three or four. It all depends on how it was wired. In theory the wiring run should be inside a PVC or some other conduit with a single run from the breaker box to the tub location. Yours might be different. Check inside each box, carefully, to see if you have insects inside, loose connections, or water in the box. Any of those could cause the problem.

If you don’t find anything strange inside the boxes the problem could be inside the hot tub. It could be anything from a bad pump motor, a bad heater, or some wiring issues. It’s time to call in someone familar with hot tubs then.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.