Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Mrsfalce
      Participant

I have just purchased a house, and had a flooring co. in today for an estimate on new carpeting, which the entire house needs. The company said they charge extra for removal, so I sliced up the carpet & padding in the family room myself as a start, and removed it. The sub-floor, which is plywood, is filthy. Also, it has some rather large spots in the center that look like moisture stains, and seem to hold onto thick dirt more than other areas. The stains are a deep brown/gray in color. Are these mold? How do I rid the subfloor of this/disinfect it, in order to get new carpet laid on a few weeks? Can I use the bleach/dawn remedy, even on plywood? Do I have to replace the sub-flooring altogether?

My home inspection did not reveal any moisture in the crawlspace below – The inspector actually said the ground underneath was bone dry.

Ideas? Thx in advance.

Giddaymate
      Participant

Hi Mrs Falce, It dosn’t sound like mold. What I think it sounds like is old split drinks like Coke Cola or coffee which had alot of sugar in it. Its soaked through the carpet and the sugar has now made the floor become very sticky under the carpet. First try washing the area with warm soapy water then try of with some towels. It won’t get rid of the stains but it will get rid of the thick sticky dirt. regards Noelene

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.