Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Unregistered-Ashley Sweda

Thanks for fielding my question. I have an old farm house early 1900’s I’m rebuilding myself. Presently, I’m tearing out the old plaster & lath walls and taking a lot of weight/dust/old material off the walls. The outside and inside walls have 18-24″ wormy chesnut planks with cellulose blown in the walls. I want to build/insulate for the future. I want a higher R-factor to keep energy cost down in the future. What do you think of the following plan: 1)On the outside of house, place house wrap then 1 inch foam then finish with rough cut (local) hemlock. 2)On the walls on the inside of the exterior walls put up 1 inch foam (what kind so I don’t get off gasses) then bubble wrap then 1/2 inch drywall painted on both sides. Will moisture be able to travel thru? Is this sound building advise? I’m open for suggestions, but I do want a warm house in Northern Pennsylvania. Yes, I like to “over build”. Thanks, Ashley Sweda

Sender’s Email: ashleysweda@hotmail.com

homebild
      Participant

“What do you think of the following plan?”
      ——-
      It’s coo coo. 🙂

You don’t mix exterior foam with housewrap. It’s one or the other not both. Use the foam (exterior) since it will act as both insulator and air barrier.

Keep the cellulose in the walls and add nothing further on the interior.

Painting boths sides of the drywall is a waste of money and time. Latex paint is not a vapor retarder and doesn’t have to be.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.