• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      lanny

I want to remove existing carpet on my stairs and replace it with wood painted risers and hardwood treads. The existing stairs are plywood construction. Can I add the risers and treads on top of the existing plywood underlayment. I also need reference material on making the transition at the top of the stairs to hardwood flooring.

dp

as long as you stick with commly accepted construction practices and the existing stairs are sound i would say yes

beware that if anyone falls on them steps and your design is suspect your going to be held liable, your insurance company may even walk if they figure your stiars are not up to code. leaveing you holding the bag for a big injury suit, medical bills and pain and suffering

perhaps you should consider calling a licsned and insured carpenter with staircase experence

as far as the transition, what you mean reference material? just make sure its a smooth transation that no one is going to fall or trip on, useing spacers, shims, thickness planer or whatever you need to level with the hardwood

staircases are danger and best left to experenced craft-person with a big insurance policy

just my thoughts lanny

Tom Hinkle

Did you get any info on your project? I want to do the same thing to my house. I had thought I would have to remove the top plywood steps, but it looks like you can just cover the top with the new wood tread. How did you transition at the top of the stairs? I have carpet at the top of mine.

mr X

mr X is stupid

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.