Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum I need instruction on concrete block foundations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      D McHaffie

I have footing poured for concrete block foundation, and for various reasons, cant afford to pay someone to do it for me. does anyone know of a good source of instruction for setting up and laying a concrete block foundation?

Bruce M

Hi D McHaffie:

Having built several of these, I’ve learned a few of the tricks…..

I’m not sure if you are saying your footing is poured or not….but let me assume it is…..

I would suggest that you first go to your local library and check out a couple of books on constructing cinderblock walls. There are several good ones I’ve looked through (sorry, its been a while and I can’t remember the names). Also, the Sept 97 issue of Fine Homebuilding has a good primer on constructing block walls.

You don’t mention how many block you plan on laying, their size (6X8X16?) or what the wall is for (retaining or a building or a bar-b-que or ?). you will need several good quality tools for this and the will to do hard work while doing a good job. Personally, I like building with blocks because it is relatively inexpensive and if you take the time to do it well, it will look very nice and you’ll get many compliments.

Feel free to post back if you have specific questions. Best wishes.

Bruce M

Laura

I am in school for Architectural Technology, and I am looking for step by step instructions for a Masonry Block Foundation. Could someone please tell me where I might find that?

Thank you.

Kevin Sicard

I need step by step instruction on how to lay a new foundation in a house my family recently purchased. I would like to do the job myself but I need some directions on how to go about it and what I will need. Thank you.

Bob O’Donnell

Looking for general requirements for depth and width of footing for 8″ block.

Angelina Stayton

We want to build a fence line across the back of our property. The other sides of the yard are already fenced with concrete block wall. The quote for a 90 foot straight wall that is 6 feet high was $6400. Too high. I can get a company to pour the footer with rebar for about $1200 and then hubbie and I can try to build the wall ourselves. We can’t find a website or any instructions on how to do this. How many blocks do we need? Do we use concrete between the blocks for mortar? I haven’t a clue. Please e-mail with any help. stayton@mindspring.com

Alan W

Hello all. Am desiring to build an attached block garage to existing block home. Questions: How is electric buried in the wall? How do you do a garage door (16′) header? What should be depth and width of footings. (Central California – no freeze issues). This will get me started on the design. This will be my first foray into BLOCK do-it-yourself!

Mary Kizer

Anyone got instruction on how to build a inside bedroom all. Trying to add on a bedroom or i should say make a dinner room into a bedroom but dont know how to go about starting the wall and how to put in the door and all. email me at mkizer@trificient.net

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.