Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      OceanStateTuning
      Participant

I recently installed my first radiant heat in my house for my bathroom that I remodeled. I ran the pex under the floor and used regular clips that lowes sell to secure it. Anyway this method is LOUD all I hear is tick tick tick from the floors, After I read that PEX expands 1″ for every 10″ or something when heated. I have been looking at ways to re mount the PEX ( Standard Red 3/4″ Pex you buy at lowes, One run of Pex between each joist as my house ranges from 10″-20″ on center)

Anyway I could never find any heat transfur plates for 3/4″ so the clips are how I went but granted this keeps the PEX right to the floor and that makes the noise for me. I noticed they have the slide brackets ( http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/Heatingproducts/radiantheating/safelink/safelink34inchbuy.asp ) That you just strap the PEX with wire ties and keep the PEX about 2″ away from the floor. WELL Can’t I just use 2×4’s cut, put them every 2-3′ and wire tie the pex to the 2×4’s? Do I need to wire tie them? I am just looking for the best way to do this while keeping the noise AWAY.

What do you guys suggest? It is under a tile bathroom floor on a house that is about 80 years old using a on demand condensing boiler, I will spend the money to do it right but obviously I would like to save as much money as possible if I can get away using stuff I already have VS buying stuff that will do the same job.

Thanks!
      Kyle

HKestenholz
      Participant

If the ties won’t weaken and stretch when in contact with the hot tube, ties can be used. Many plastics deform at 120+. Some nylon ties deform over 200F.

http://www.heatpro.us energy businessmen’s knowledge

Yes, you really have to find out the MAKE and MODEL to get good answers. There IS more than one machine made.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.