Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      BrokeMyTable
      Participant

My kitchen table is a 6′ country style table that is only 1 year old. In the corners underneath, there are small pieces of wood attached in each corner and the leg is put on from the outside and a long screw goes through the corner piece into the leg, holding it in place.

The screw doesn’t go straight into the wood of the leg, it goes into a metal (may be plastic) anchor type holder (it has grooves for the screw on the inside, and the outside part has ‘teeth’ to hold it into the wood).

When moving the table to get an area rug under it, to my dismay I noticed the table listing to the side! The leg was pulled completely out of the socket, and upon further inspection I saw that the anchors had pulled out of the wood, and now they are stripped and no longer fit. So the table leg does not stay on like it should.

Is there a way to fix this? I thought about filling the hole with super glue, but I will be moving in the summer and would like to be able to take it apart. Any suggestions?

bobsbuddy
      Participant

These are called threaded inserts and are readily available at hardware stores. Figure out the size (internal thread). Normally, these are 5/16″ x 18.
      http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=362&filter=threaded%20insert

If the leg has enough meat on it, you can insert one deeper into leg. Drill a hole deeper and get a longer bolt, if needed.

Otherwise you can get the next size up and the next size larger bolt.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.