Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum How do I fix a burn mark on laminate countertop from a towel fire?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      vlaz42
      Participant

My hubsband dropped a kitchen towel on the counter top too near a candle and the towel caught fire burning my laminate counter top. The burn is approximately 3 inches long and 3 inches wide. How can I fix the hole so that I can paint over the counter without seeing the patch?

Unregistered-zzz111

Replace counter top

Bruno1949
      Participant

Clean out any burned wood or laminate. Remove any bubbled laminate with a razor knife or chisel or whatever works. Go to the auto parts store and buy a small can of Bondo or something similar. It’s a two part epoxy style body putty. Get the cheap pack of plastic spreaders. You might spend $10 on the whole kit. Read the directions. Read them again just to make sure. Mix up a small batch of the filler, generally it’s a 1 to 10 ratio of hardener to filler. It doesn’t have to be exact but it does have to be close. Mix it up on a paper plate or something you can throw away because you can only use it once. Spread a thin layer into the burned area. Just try to fill the burn without getting it too thick or too high above the counter surface.Allow to dry as directed in the instructions.Put on a cheap dust mask and use a sanding block or 120 grit sandpaper wrapped around a piece of wood to sand the surface down to the counter top but don’t sand the counter top too much. Fill any low spots with more filler and make sure there is a very thin amount out an inch or two past the burned area. Allow to dry. Sand again to get it close to level. Change to a higher number grit like 240. Sand. Repeat at 400 grit. If you can, polish the surface with 1000 grit paper to give it a nice shine. The sandpaper, mask, Bondo, spreaders, and everything might cost you $20.

Once it’s looking smooth and flat you can paint the whole counter top. The filler won’t damage the laminate, it won’t absorb water, and isn’t bothered by heat. The repair will last basically forever.

The repairs might take an hour or so. The painting sort of depends on how much counter top you are painting. Still, it’s a good job for an afternoon or evening. The windows should be open, the filler is sort of smelly, but not dangerous.

Good luck and don’t beat up on the poor guy. Just make him do the sanding. 🙂

Unregistered-lg
      doug seibert
      Participant

You can make a permanent “repair” without painting by installing a trivet to replace the burned area……like this

http://www.vanceind.com/16x20white.aspx

“……measure Once…..cut Twice….
      throw that one away and cut a new one….”

Unregistered-handyguys

Painting will be a mess. It wont last long and should be considered a temporary measure only. If you paint use a glossy oil enamel and BIN shellac based primer.

To fix the burn – sand smooth with a random orbital sander. You will also want to sand the entire counter to give some tooth to the paint. Fine grit paper will work.

If you have any divots or pitts in the burn area you can use bondo (since you are painting). Bondo is sold at places like auto parts stores and walmart in the auto care section.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.