Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      hzfdgs
      Participant

I have a 1926 colonial vacation home in North Carolina that is heated by gas fired – hot water readiators with a gas hot water heater. I am there for two weeks in the summer and two weeks in the winter, plus an ocassional long weekend. Should I turn off the water and gas? What are the concerns if I do, should I drain the hot water heater?

JB

HKestenholz
      Participant

Not sure what you are heating the radiators with. Is there a separate boiler that heats the radiators or does the gas water heater heat them also?

In either case, the water could be shut off and the traps and toilet bowls filled with trailer antifreeze. The water heater would be shut off and drained because disease can breed in water held inside for a long time.

If a separate boiler heats the radiators, then the gas should be left on to keep the system from possible freezing. Set the thermostat to 55F.

http://www.heatpro.info heat/cool right-sizing

The Senate and House can not find a suitable health plan for the nation; they should open their own exclusive health plan booklet and start reading.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.