• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Jay Johnston

I remember reading something about low voltage light switches, in a home, but cannot find the post any more. We just purchased a home with such a system. Unfortunately the seller was a widow, and knows nothing of it’s workings except that it works.

I see that some of you call yourself “regulars”. Do any of you remember who posted the reply, if not yourself? I need some advice to determine if I want to keep the system or scrap it. Does anyone know how it works, and any advice on keep or not?

As a side question: How many “regulars” are there?

You guys all do a great job!

Thanks – Jay Johnston

Ed Parker

Hi Jay,
      I just installed a low voltage lighting system in my addition and have learned a great deal about the systems and their specific requirements. Please respond with your particular problems, and I’ll see if I can give you a competent answer, based on what I’ve learned. Essentially, the system uses step down transformers to reduce 120 volt current to 12 volt. The transformers are sized according to the total max rated wattage of all fixtures that will be installed. Some fixtures have transformers built into them, eliminating the stand alone transformers. Dimmers must match the transformer type (either magnetic or electronic) and the wattage requirements. Give us a specific problem you are trying to address and I’m sure we’ll get you answers. As for the systems, they can be quite a dramatic statement utilizing mini halogen bulbs and ultra-modern fixtures. I’d keep it if I were you. Someone spent some money to have it installed, as they are not cheap systems.

Ray Holaday

My home was built in 1963 using low voltage switches for all ceiling electricals. Wall mounted light switches are connected to relays in the basement. I do not have a problem buying replacement relays; but, I cannot find any electrical distributor or contractor who currently handly replacements for low voltage (rocker) switches. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. Further, in this corner of Michigan, I cannot find an electrician/ contractor who has ever worked with such systems or even wants to work on such a system; now 40 years old. I have two banks of 12 relays in two different locations in the basement; poorly labeled. Discovery is my method of repair and replacement.

Unregistered-jane wightman

I NEED TO REPLACE THE LIGHT SWITCHES ON OUR LOW VOLTAGE SYSTEM. WHERE CAN I FIND A OUTLET TO BUY THEM?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

JANE

Unregistered-Snowberrysales

Hi,
      We are on vacation but will be happy to help you with your system. I will be home on Friday and can send you ohotos and explain any questions. My email is lklavano@yahoo.com

Talk with you soon.

lklavano

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.