Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      boothbay
      Participant

I have a 2 story single home and steam heat with a recent new boiler installation. I have been finding that upstairs ( bedrooms and bath ) are hot compared to the lower main level. We hate hot bedrooms..so I decided to shut off the main radiator in the master bedroom and its working just fine..so far…BUT, i assumed that by doing so, the heat that normally went to that bedroom would be shifted down to the lower main floor in some way..but it does not seem to work out that way..at least we don’t notice any difference…so then, where does that heat go after shutting off that radiator?

DanO
      Participant

** i assumed that by doing so, the heat that normally went to that bedroom would be shifted down to the lower main floor in some way **

Where is the thermostat controlling the boiler?

If on the main floor, the main floor rads should always heat to the same temperature regardless of what heat is generated by rads elsewhere. Once satisfied there, the thermostat should shut the boiler off. Reducing the number of rads which don’t directly affect the main thermostat would just reduce the run time of the boiler, not produce any ‘extra’ heat.

The system might be able to be balanced so only an appropriate amount of heat is circulated to the upstairs rads while the main floor stayed at your set temperature (controlled by the thermostat).

It is also possible for thermostats to be attached to individual rads so each can actually be controlled separately aside from the main thermostat control for the whole boiler.

JMO

Dan O.

mikenew
      Participant

We need to know what kind of control system you have. You could have a main space temperature sensing thermostat or individual controls for each radiator.

Mike Newberry
      Air conditioning repair

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.