Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      sabo1815
      Participant

I have a 94 year old Spanish home with Ludowichi clay tile roof. This spring we lost a 100 plus year old pin oak that shaded the entire home in the summer months. Now that it is gone it has dramatically warmed the second floor. We have the second floor furnace and cooling coil in the attic. The floor in the attic has plenty of blown in insulation. There are no vents in the attic.

My question is should I install a ridge vent and soffit vents as a phase 1 plan. Then install I call them styrophone chases that allow air to pass from the soffit vents to the ridge vent. Then insulate over chases between roof joists. If I insulate interior roof could it cause premature failure of underlayment under roof tile? That is cook the underlayment material.

homebild
      Participant

“There are no vents in the attic.”

That is your biggest problem.

You should have a minimum of 1 square foot of attic ventilation for every 150 square feet of attic floor space.

If you use ridge venting, there should be at least an equal amount of soffit vents are as ridge vent area.

“My question is should I install a ridge vent and soffit vents as a phase 1 plan. Then install I call them styrophone chases that allow air to pass from the soffit vents to the ridge vent. Then insulate over chases between roof joists.”

Simply put: NO.

You do need to install the styrofoam vents in each ventilated rafter cavity but these vents only need to be high enough to terminate above the insulation.

The vents should not be otherwise covered.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.