Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum Hanging Kitchen Cabinets on Walls with Metal Studs??

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Unregistered-lydia1953

Hello!

I bought some beautiful kitchen cabinets and now they sit in my kitchen and dining room. It seems nobody can get it right! It turns out the studs are metal, not the common wood ones. Now I am being told that I’ll have to tear my kitchen apart mount wood studs, put in new drywall and then mount the cabinets. Does anybody out there have the real answer? How could it be possible that prior to my getting these new cabinets there were cabinets attached to these walls, metal studs and all. How is it that mounting cabinets on these studs is now impossible!!

I’ve had two contractors come out … the first time the cabinets fell to the floor and broke my entire set of china … Just today I was told that I’d had to basically tear the walls down to be able to hang up my cabinets!!

Your comments/suggestions/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

carl21l
      Participant

the cabinets should be able to be hung with the steel studs. run 1/2 x 4 inch plywood stringers mounted at the top and bottom lines of the cabinets and fastened to the studs with 2 fine thread 2 inch drywall screws at each stud. fasten the cabinets to the stringers. that is the method I have seen used in commercial buildings to install wall cabinets

JMHO

Carl

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.