Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      musiclvr56
      Participant

I bought a dining room table-I believe it is cherry with a veneer top. I know it won’t look perfect, but what can I do to make the gouges not look so bad? Because it is veneer, not wood, I believe it cannot be sanded. I bought this table along with five chairs at a thrift store for $90 and am trying to decide if I should let the store keep the table.

Karen

musiclvr56
      Participant

I was told that I have deep scratches, not gouges. I would assume this would make a difference on the replies I receive.

Thanks again,
      Karen

bobsbuddy
      Participant

The finish is only a few thousandths of an inch thick. The depth of the damage will have quite different requirements for a fix.
      http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/Repairing_Color_Damage/

Another way to fill scratches is to get some lacquer. Fill a paper cup about 1/2″ deep. Let it sit out for a few days until you have about half the volume or less. You will have a very thick, syrupy lacquer. Using a toothpick, drip and drag lacquer into the scratches. Let it flow out and dry. Sand to level. Repeat if needed. You may need to spray a little aerosol lacquer on at the end to match the sheen. You might also apply the aerosol after dropping in the lacquer to get it to flow out and level.

As with all new procedures, try this out on a practice board first.

ArnoldP
      Participant

If they are not too deep I have had some success with the inexpensive color fill sticks.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.