Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      deedel
      Participant

we wish to convert our internal garage into a bedroom . what is the best way to fill the garage door . full length window frame or bricked . and what is required to line the walls . it has a concrete floor which we intend to put laminate onto do we need anything other than underlay on it . is ther anything other than building controls we need to consider

bink
      Participant

I would check with your AHJ first. In some areas converting a garage to a bedroom is not allowed. When I lived in CA, my neighbor across the street, converted his garage to a bedroom. To keep a long story short, the building inspector found out about it and made him to convert it back to a garage. The guy lost alot of money in the process. Better safe than sorry.

Let us know how it works out.

Unregistered-fred

To frame in the doorway, it is fairly simple. The door itself acts like a big window opening once you tear out all the old door material. Other than the typical materila like wood, nails, screws, insultaion, siding (outside) and drywall, you’ll need some concrete anchors for the base plate to make sure the wall is secured to the foundation. The framing on the outside of the existing door should already be capable of holding the weight, so all you need to do is fill in the extising opening with similar materials.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.