• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      ca

Just had someone out for routine furnace check. He discovered what appears to be a cracked heat exchanger. Needless to say my furnace has been shut down. (For obvious reasons.) I have been given 2 options by different contractors: (1) replace heat exchanger(which is still under warranty) in current furnace. (2) replace furnace with new unit. The current unit was built in 1988. (Do not know when it was installed.) Current unit is a Janitrol. The price quoted to replace the heat exchanger is $400. The price for a new furnace is anywhere between $1200 – $2100. My question is – is it worth repairing?

bc

If my furnace had the same problem, I would opt for replacing the heat exchanger assuming they guarantee that it will fix it. 12 years old isn’t that bad.

However, if I had an extra $1000+ laying around, I would consider going with a high efficiency furnace after doing a cost analysis to see if it would save that much. Good luck.

bc

Look back at some Janitrol posts on 1\25\00. I don’t know anything about Janitrol and don’t know how accurate the posts are but it may help.

Ed Parker

As a manager for the nation’s largest home inspection company, I can say that I have seen my share of differing opinions regarding heat exchangers. Sometimes, the technician that discovers the “crack” is trying to sell you a new unit, knowing you may already have reservations about your current system. I have successfully questioned many inspection reports that called for furnace replacement due to cracked exchangers and upon a more thorogh second inspection proved them wrong. Before opting for a new unit get another opinion. Ask what method of inspection they use to determine the crack exists, if it is not obvious. Typically, a cracked exchanger will result in elevated levels of carbon monoxide in the circulated air. Make sure a CO test has been performed. Another test is with the use of smoke, which when released in the burner chamber, will leak into the circulated air. The most widely used and least accurate method of detection is with a mirror and flashlight to look up into the chamber. What ‘appears” to be a crack, many times is not at all. Also, the use of “detection sprays” which change the color of the flame in the absence of a crack are not accurate either. I have blown holes in many a failed inspection by insisting on a more thorough evaluation that includes elevated CO levels. Be wary of any fast talkin’ technician that does a cursery test and trys to sell you a new unit. They get big bonuses for that and therefore push their “seasonal maintenance” plans to help sell more product. Good Luck.

DennisD

If you can afford it, you will be well served to upgrade to a 90+ furnace with sealed combustion that draws outside air for combustion. Most of the brand names are good.

There is nothing wrong with a Janitrol. They are one of the largest makers of furnaces. Life expectancy of furnaces are between 15-20 years and you are approaching it.

If you choose to replace your heat exchanger it will extend the life and it won’t hurt you. You will still have a less efficient unit, but it will work.

If it was mine……replace it!

Unregistered-nythorns

If the furnace is over 15 years old should the exchanger be repaired? it has been used all this time at a effective heat rate of 70% and the fumes are terrible. advise please.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.