Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      VAGOLD
      Participant

I currently have a heat register located under a desk (where a chair would go)built into my kitchen. I want to remove the desk and intall a kitchen cabinet. Can I block the vent? Move the vent? Extend the vent? Thanks for your help.

riverhawk
      Participant

I would go to the basement and find the hot air pipe for that room and see if there is a lever to turn to shut off the air to that room ..If so turn it and shut off the air to the room and do your remodeling.

riverhawk
      Participant

I would go to the basement and find the hot air pipe for that room and see if there is a lever to turn to shut off the air to that room ..If so turn it and shut off the air to the room and do your remodeling.

tomh
      Participant

The vent can be blocked by removing the cover and stuffing a piece of insulation in. That will stop the airflow and will not be combustible. A better option is to apply a grill to the kick plate of the new cabinet. Prior to installation you can glue 1×3 or 1×4 (depends on height of kick plate) boards to the bottom of the cabinet to direct the air flow from the vent towards the grill. You will then get AC/heat in the kitchen as intended without any difficult modifications. Use a nice brass or wood diffuser on the kick-plate cut-out and it will look good and be functional.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.