• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike

The flag stone patio that I have is on a concrete slab as well as grass. (built-up with sand) The stones on the grass are sinking. I am prepared to remove the stones and build a more solid base on which to lay the flag stone. I was thinking about using pea gravel or crushed stone and filling the gaps in with mortar. What would you suggest?

Mike

Don’t use mortar on a flagstone patio sitting on anything less than a concrete base or it will crack as the ground moves do to season and temperature changes. A flagstone patio on anything less than concrete should use earth or sand or gravel between the joints.

tomk

In New england, we have a product called crusher run that is basically very well crushed stone with no particles larger than about 1/4 inch and a lot of fine granular particles. If you have something like that in your area, use that as your base. It compacts to almost the consistency of concrete with just a little moisture, and makes a very hard and durable base for flagstone, bluestone, brick, and other unit pavers. You could also use stone dust, but I’d go with the crusher run, and use stone dust to fill the joints between the stones. The final appearance of the project will be more in keeping with flagstones set in and on concrete than having sand or another earthem product between the stones.

Ron Hastings

I am going to put a flag stone walk way in front of a stone wall . Should i use sand or dirt as a base . There will be very little foot traffic on this walk . It is will be more for looks than anything , but i want it to be able to be use too . Thanks , Ron .

wayne

I want to put some kind of stone on the front of my house, around the garage and around a few windows, can this be done easily on top of the stucco? Will I need to remove the stucco if say I wanted to put flag stone?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.