Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      boothbay
      Participant

Just for casual work aroung the house, nothing heavy. What are the differences in one that says 2 speed and another says variable speed? i’m thinking 3/8″ and cordless and I think 12volt…would appreciate tips. Thanks

Bruno1949
      Participant

Random small jobs around the house? A corded 3/8th inch variable speed drill motor will do anything you need done, and then some. Battery power is fine if you use the tool at least once a month. Otherwise the batteries are going to die long before they should. If you plan to use the drill a couple of times a year buy a corded one, it will last forever.

I have four battery drills from 12 to 18 volts. I use them each about once a week. The Chicago 14.4v drill is 10 years old and the batteries are going. The batteries are over $70 each.

I also have half a dozen corded drill motors. The NEWEST one is 10 years old and they all work like new.

The use of a power cord isn’t that big of a deal if you only use the drill from time to time. The corded drill usually has more power and torque and you will NEVER have to replace the batteries at $50 each.

It’s your choice depending on how you use a drill and what’s available for a good price. A 12V 3/8″ cordless would be fine for light home stuff as long as you plan to use it at least once a month. Otherwise a corded drill might be cheaper and better for you.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.