• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Ted Saladyga

Need tips.Problem: exterior paint on cedar shingles pealing – needs to be repainted. What is the best way to: 1. Remove old pealing paint- scrape or hi-pressure hose or? 2. How do I prepare the surface so that it doesn’t have that “been scraped & re-painted” look ?
      Thanks

Steve:

first, a power washer will make the problem worse. With improper pressure and upward motions will cause one, leaks, two, tear up the shingles.

I would scrape the shinges with a scraper or wire brush. Any too bad just replace the shingle.

When I do this for customers, I always use a product from sherwin william’s called “woodscapes”. its made for shingles, cedar and is a stain/paint. It comes in many colors and can be customed mixed also. With the nature of cedar shingles, it has to be sprayed on. doing this by hand is futile to say the least.

This stuff is very good, and it does soak up alot on the first application.

william west

The paint is blistery and thepanels inside when painted before look like compressed wood and caulking around the seams.I am painting to save expenses and find hours upon hours scraping and need to know how do I treat wood before I paint? Your advice is most appreciated? If I presure wash first, how long do I have to wait to proceed, a day or two?

Thank you william

Tobey

I plan to paint the stucco on my home almond color.What color do you suggest for the trim and wood?????

Dave

I need to choose the colors to paint my house. Is there a free online site to view/select diferent exterior paint color schemes.

Winston edmiston

I live 40 miles north of Charlotte NC. My house is 40 yr old. Over the passed 5 years I have increasely had black mold keep reappearing on the outside of my house. My house has always been painted with oil based paints. I have tryed to use those mold cleaners on 3 occasions but each after several months the paint will start peeling. I have weakend the mixure to 1 part to 10 water and rinsed heavy but it wants to peel the oil based paint. I would have to then repaint the house, then within a year the mold will be back. Any sugestions? Will a latex paint fair better to with the cleaners and resist mold better?

jen

What do you think about painting over old aluminuim siding? How long do you think the paint will look good? Is there a special paint I should use? Thanks

deanna

what product is used to replace rawhide

Tracey

I have some outside shutters that are western style, and are currently painted green. I would like them to be a brown rustic stained color that I have seen on many houses here in Texas. Not sure what the proper procedure would be, and if it’s paint or stain that I want. Please help.

Ana Black

do you think a burnt red metal roof would look

good with a plum color outside stucco walls and

the trim around the house is white and has two front white pillars. My husband and I are debating this colors. I dont think the red roof

goes with the plum. and he thinks it does. I need

someones opinion. we live in the southwest(Arizona). thank you.

Ana

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.