Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-criley

I thought I would install 2 outlets in my shed, so I put in a 20 amp breaker in my box, ran regular 12 gauge wire from the box to a junction box in my garage(50 ft), and have 14 gauge outdoor wire from the garage to the shed (100-150′). The wire is in a conduit underground for the first 50′, and then partially buried/exposed in the woods for the remaining distance to the shed (ran out of conduit). There is nothing plugged into the outlets, and it is very cold/dry weather. I tried to turn on the breaker, and it immediately blew. Is the wire too light/too long?? I can’t figure it out!

Unregistered-Andy

A few problems here…
      With a 20 amp breaker, you can’t use anything smaller than #12.
      With that being said, you will need at least #10 for that distance, to account for voltage drop.
      You should be using UF buried underground for the full length. Check your local codes for depth.
      You have a short somewhere in the run; perhaps the insulation became nicked during insulation?

Unregistered-lg

“The wire is in a conduit underground for the first 50′, and then partially buried/exposed in the woods for the remaining distance to the shed (ran out of conduit).”

Sauerkraut57
      Participant

I would also highly recommend that you do NOT use a standard 20 amp breaker. I would use a 20 amp GFCI, so that there is no chance of electrocution in the shed.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.