Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      anzamarie
      Participant

There is an outlet in my home that was sparking. I have shut off the breaker and removed the cover and it looks like it was b uring slightly. I dont need this outlet so can I just shut off power to it? If so how do I do that? Help ASAP please

LarryG
      Participant

here are your options.you can replace the outlet receptical(thats what i would do)or you can remove it, cap the wires,and replace the cover with a blank cover.if you decide to remove it and it has an infeed and an outgoing then you must connect the hots together and the neutrals together or you will lose power to something else inside the house.
      best just replace the outlet.

tellepa
      Participant

The idea of cutting off the power to the outlet will only cause problems in the future. I would replace the outlet so your wife/significant other can use the outlet for a lamp or something. This fix will only cost .89 cents at Homedepot.

Good luck

Unregistered-Ed

I agree with Doug. When you’re talking something that was possibly burning, you want to know what caused it. Unless you are absolutely positive it was the outlet, then you need to have it checked out. Replacing the outlet or not replacing it doesn’t guarantee there won’t be a further problem, and that further problem may be a full fleged FIRE! Have it inspected!!!
      Ed

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.