Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-john

I’ve heard knowledgable people comment that you should always connect electric devices (receptacles and switches) using the terminal screws, and not use the holes in the back of the device where you simply push the wire straight in. Why? I’m not an electrician; as a layman I’m thinking the holes are provided in a UL listed, code approved device, so apparently its okay to use them. What’s the reasoning for not using them? Thanks for your input.

doug seibert
      Participant

The actual connection depends on a sliver of spring conductor that…..from experience…..OFTEN fails……

Combine that with the common decision to daisy-chain the circuit using all 4 push-in connections and often the downstream circuit is dead…….

And to further complicate things some circuits use a common neutral….multi-wire…….When these lose a neutral due to the back-stabbed connections…….the circuit can energize to 240Volts……

Recently the NEC changed the code to allow only 14 guage wire to fit the devices…..

LarryG
      Participant

the screws make for a much more reliable connection.i can’t tell you how many problems i’ve had with the wires coming out on back wired devices mostly recepticals.

bink
      Participant

I agree with doug and LarryG. Been there and done that. They are a failure waiting to happen.

carl21l
      Participant

In my opinion, any “electrician” who uses the stab wiring is too lazy to do a good wiring job. Personally, I would like to see the back stab outlawed all together. JMHO

Carl

Unregistered-Mike

Whoever backstabs the wire makes me want to backstab them. You will have a better connection if on the terminal and plus it makes an easier/quicker job for the next guy to change outlet.
      Those holes should be banned.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.